The following brief history of Salt Creek was compiled by the South Australian historian Geoffrey Manning:
… There is another Salt Creek, 61 km South-East of Meningie and, ‘early in 1866, Mr John Hodgkiss and others formed a small company with a capital of £500 to test the value of a supposed discovery of petroleum made near the notorious Malacha Martin’s house on the Salt Creek, by Mr W.H. Hamilton’: Four men were sent out with 500 feet of boring rods and the oily substance which he had described as scum upon the surface of the water was traceable in various parts of the creek. Extensive claims were taken out and a company was formed to work a substance known as mineral caoutchouc and Mr Eustace R. Mitford was dispatched there.
Boundaries for the locality were created on 24 August 2000 for the ” long established name” which is ultimately derived from a stream that flows through the locality on its way to the Coorong.
In 1892, a group of entrepreneurs, who believed there was oil located in the Coorong, drilled Australia’s first oil well. They were unsuccessful, as it was later discovered that the ‘oil’ was in fact a flammable, compacted vegetable substance (known as ‘coorongite’). A replica of the oil rig has been built as a monument to this enterprise.